About Me

My photo
Hello! Thanks for joining me as a learn more about the world of American Government and Politics! Im originally from outside New York City, but decided to take my studies down to the University of Texas at Austin where my main focus is Biological Sciences. But a little politics can be fun too! According to an online test, I lean more toward a Liberal Ideology, but I believe by the end of the course I will have a much better idea of where I lie. Given the sizable political apathy of my life thus far and of my generation, its about time I took some initiative to learn more about what is going on in my country, and truly hope to discover a new interest in the current events of our government. I hope that by the end of the course I can at least participate in an intellectual conversation about politics with my family at the dinner table :). I scored about a 60% on a recent civics quiz of which the national average is about 50%, and scored 7 out of 11 on a current events quiz, which puts me above 60% of the population. Honesty, these scores are much higher than i would have guessed and certainly attribute much of it to luck. Thanks for Checking out my Blog!

Friday, July 16, 2010

Immigration in America

Immigration is something that has raised eyebrows in the United States for over 100 years, but most recently the issue of immigration is gaining much more popularity, along with much more restriction. This is anything but surprising given the tough economic times we are facing. As more illegal immigrants enter the country, its citizens feel that deserved opportunities are being taken away by the growing population.

In the LATimes article Arizona's Immigration Law isn't the only one explains that many states along with Arizona are creating laws against immigrants. Some of these laws target their in-state school tuition rates, consequences for false identification, while others are similar to Arizona's law of police authority to check the immigration status of anyone arrested.

This article is of value because it displays individual state's actions in the absence of federal government action. Furthermore, it raises the question of whether immigration laws should be under the state's responsibility or the federal government's if a partnership between the two cannot be reached. I am certainly no expert (yet) but I could see arguments for both sides to assume responsibility. Border states could understandably have stricter laws given their proximity and easy access to immigrants, yet this could also have an effect of pulling immigrants to other parts of the country with less strict laws. This could be avoided if the government would pass a federal law nation wide. The possibilities grow..

No comments: