About Me

My photo
Hello! Thanks for joining me as a learn more about the world of American Government and Politics! Im originally from outside New York City, but decided to take my studies down to the University of Texas at Austin where my main focus is Biological Sciences. But a little politics can be fun too! According to an online test, I lean more toward a Liberal Ideology, but I believe by the end of the course I will have a much better idea of where I lie. Given the sizable political apathy of my life thus far and of my generation, its about time I took some initiative to learn more about what is going on in my country, and truly hope to discover a new interest in the current events of our government. I hope that by the end of the course I can at least participate in an intellectual conversation about politics with my family at the dinner table :). I scored about a 60% on a recent civics quiz of which the national average is about 50%, and scored 7 out of 11 on a current events quiz, which puts me above 60% of the population. Honesty, these scores are much higher than i would have guessed and certainly attribute much of it to luck. Thanks for Checking out my Blog!

Friday, August 13, 2010

Final Comment on Proposition 8 and Equality

I strongly agree with what Katrina has to say about same sex marriage in her post on her blog. She supports the fact that proposition 8 was overturned, believing that the action protects the rights of many citizens. I particularly like how she states that “Many are enraged that one judge was given the right to overturn the votes of millions of people. I feel like the judge simply gave to millions of people the right they should have already been given a long time ago.”

She also points out how the founding fathers meant for the constitution (which some believe does not support same sex marriage) to be able to be amended to keep up with the times. In my opinion, she is spot on about this issue. Lets face it, as smart and well intentioned the founding fathers were, there is no way we could possibly base all of our laws and rights on what they said over 200 years ago. Sure they covered the basics that will last for ages to come, but do you really think they had same sex marriage on their mind when then decided this country’s laws? I wouldn’t think so. As homosexuality continues to become more prevalent in our society as it has been doing over the past 50 years, our laws will naturally have to adapt to protect the rights of this growing population.

On a slightly different note, I will end by saying what I have said for many years about how discrimination can only honestly be eliminated from a society and equality among everyone is truly achieved. Such methods as affirmative action for minorities and overturning a proposition like proposition 8 are helpful, but does it truly help everyone be viewed as equal? In my opinion, no, these things only reinforce the fact that minorities and homosexuals are existent, and that they are indeed different in the eyes of society. Only the day when these facts become completely meaningless to people, so meaningless that race is not asked on job or school applications and sexual orientation not a thought in the military or on anyone else’s mind, will true equality be achieved. 

No comments: